[linux] Re: xargs limiet?

Maarten Verwijs maarten op projectie.com
Vr mei 13 14:22:19 CEST 2005

Hoi Hugo,

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 01:48:50PM +0200, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> Ik gebruik xargs om VSTK een verzameling van bijna 22000 files te voeren
> op de volgende wijze:
>
> 	find ${WORKDIR} -type f | sort | \
>         xargs time nice /opt/vstk/bin/vfind --speed=2 --libon='*' | \
>         tee ${LOGFILE}
>
> Dat gaat goed tot ongeveer 5300 files maar dan wordt er geen nieuwe serie
> gestart. Elke serie loopt met ongeveer 400-550 files.
>
> Als ik de file list genereer dan krijg ik gewoon alles te zien:
>
> 	find ${WORKDIR} -type f | sort > ${LOGFILE}.txt

Is dit een idee? http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/7

Vooral de comment:

"the reason i eneded up reading this article is an application which
created some 150 thousand log files on one of my partitions.
i tried to remove them, however i ran into the ARG_MAX limit - neither
ls or rm would tolerate so many files. interestingly enough, the
solution suggested in this article did not work either, refusing to work
for the same reason. i ended up doing the following:

shell#find ./ -name "*8*log -print0| xargs -0 rm

this reduced the number of files to less than 130 thousand. only then
was i able to use the solution suggested in this article.
"

Groetjes,

Maarten

--
Maarten Verwijs <maarten op projectie.com>
           http://maarten.projectie.com